Tuesday, January 2, 2018

One Word 2018


When deciding my ‘one word’ for the year, I went back and forth between a few but kept coming back to the concept of wanting a word that had to do with being present, engaged, and submersed in all facets of my life - moments with friends and family, continued focus on positivity, work and my professional world, and, most importantly, in my spiritual growth and relationship with Christ.

The word I chose is: Dwell.

To dwell in the present moments, and stress less about the future - not let it take up too much mental space.

To dwell in current friendships and to continue to prioritize being friendly and welcoming.

To dwell in positive/good, yet grow through and find blessing in the negatives/bad.

To dwell in my strengths and passions and worry less about what I lack or my weaknesses.

To dwell in professional opportunities to grow, instead of worrying about my lack of (fill in the blank).

To dwell in Christ and His word more. Meditate on it vs just reading the words on a page. Live it out and share it with others.

To help me with my one word, I found the following to serve in guiding me through this year and dwelling in what 2018 has to offer.

Dwell defined:

1: to remain for a time

2: to live as a resident : exist, lie

3: to keep the attention directed : to speak or write insistently


Psalm 91:1; 9-11

“He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. Because you have made the Lord your dwelling place— the Most High, who is my refuge— no evil shall be allowed to befall you, no plague come near your tent. For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways.”


Acts 2:25-28

“For David says concerning him, "'I saw the Lord always before me, for he is at my right hand that I may not be shaken; therefore my heart was glad, and my tongue rejoiced; my flesh also will dwell in hope. For you will not abandon my soul to Hades, or let your Holy One see corruption. You have made known to me the paths of life; you will make me full of gladness with your presence.'”

Job 11:13-14

“"If you prepare your heart, you will stretch out your hands toward him. If iniquity is in your hand, put it far away, and let not injustice dwell in your tents.”


Col 3:16

“Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.”

No comments:

Post a Comment